Saturday, March 5, 2011

SAMBAGAN ---the untold story of Tapon, Dumanjug, Cebu

            It was a fine day(I forgot the exact day and date). It was a school day, so I was not around that day. It was when I arrived home when my mom told me what had happened. It was my old pal, Mark(not the real name), was rushed to the nearby district hospital, and is said to have a very intense fever that nobody could explain why. Upon his arrival in the hospital, the doctor then found no actual "ailment" at all, so he was released, but the fever did not stop. He was given medicines, without the assurance of healing. Due to this happening, the parents decided to bring him home for their money are running out because of the medicines.
Early the next day, the parents went to the traditional healers, or to what we call as "mananambal". After telling her what happened, she then said: "nganong karon pa man mu niduol nako?nakasala ning bataa. nakapatay ni ug dili ingon nato. sulayan nato ni ug tabang. unyang alas 12:00, adto mo sa lugar kung diin nakasala ning bataa, dayon, pagpatay mo us manok didto isip halad." The people, upon hearing this, seems  to be troubled and could hardly believe.
During that day, (it was Saturday), I was in their house. I did still saw him, but he did not noticed me at all. He was in pain, and I could see it in his watery eyes.
And the hour came, and his parents did what was commanded to them, but when they arrived at the house, nothing happened. They are too late, for Mark had died at exactly 12:00 noon. The parents grieved for the loss, but have nothing to do with it.
The burial was immediately scheduled the next day. I was there, together with our old elementary pals. I was startled when an old man said: "dugay nang wala dire nang bataa. Gikuha na nah sa dili ingon nato, ug kanang inyong gihilakan kay usa na lang ka dakong balani sa saging." Nobody seemed to hear what he said, but i clearly heared it, and I was puzzled. Is it true? or just products of our traditional beliefs??

No comments:

Post a Comment